Nothing says summer like the smell of BBQ in the air. Enjoying tasty food with friends and family in the warm sun is a great way to kick off the season. BBQ’s are fun, but grills come with a considerable fire risk. Before you start up your grill, brush up on your grill safety knowledge.
Pay attention to your surroundings before setting up your grill. Make sure you grill on a flat non-flammable surface such as concrete. Never BBQ inside. All grills give off carbon monoxide. BBQ outside 10 feet away from your home or any other structure. Don’t forget to clear away any low hanging branches or decorations. Anything hanging above your grill can turn into fuel for out of control flames.
Excess grease on grill grates is common. Grease is highly flammable. Make sure you know how to extinguish a grease fire if needed. Keep baking soda or sand nearby to throw on flames that have grown out of control. Never use water to extinguish a grease fire. You can try turning off your grill and closing the lid to help suffocate the fire. Fire extinguishers rated for Class B fires are also safe to put out a grease fire. These extinguishers are either the dry chemical-carbon dioxide extinguisher or the multi-purpose-dry chemical extinguisher. When in doubt, evacuate the area and call 911.
Clean your grill after every use. While your grates are still warm, scrape down to remove any stuck-on grease or food. Doing it soon after using, makes your grill easier to clean. In addition, wipe down the exterior of your grill and put on the lid.
Check for gas leaks often. Dents, rust and holes on your gas tank or line may mean you have a gas leak. To make sure, you can do a simple check by mixing a solution of half water and half dish soap. Brush solution onto your gas line and valve. Next, slowly turn on your gas and watch. If you see bubbles, you have a gas leak. Make sure you fix leaks before using your grill again. In the meantime, disconnect the gas tank and store properly.
Charcoal grills have many accessories that carry an added fire risk. Only use lighter fluid on unlit, cold coals. Then, secure the lighter fluid and store away from your hot grill. If you use a hot starter, handle carefully until it cools. After you’ve used your grill, don’t move ashes right away. Allow them to sit for a day or two to cool completely. Once cooled, dispose of ashes in a non-flammable container away from your home.
We hope these tips help your summer stay disaster free. If you experience fire damage, contact us at (844) 338-5447. ServiceMaster Restoration by Bailey is your local fire and water damage restoration expert in Des Moines and Ankeny, Iowa. We’re available any time day or night for emergency restoration services. Our team also provides pack-out and storage, extreme cleaning and carpet cleaning. The sooner you call, the more damage we can prevent.