Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires. We all know we should be alert while cooking but keep in mind these tips to keep your cooking area safe.
- Keep anything that could catch fire such as wooden utensils, towels, curtains, oven mitts or food packaging away from your stovetop.
- Check on food regularly if you are simmering or baking. Keep a kitchen timer to remind you while you are cooking.
- Be alert! If you’re frying, grilling, broiling or boiling food, pay special attention as foods can burn quickly with these cooking methods.
In the world of multi-tasking, staying by your pan will help prevent a disaster in your kitchen. If you ever find yourself facing a kitchen fire of any size:
- On the stovetop, smother the flames with a lid over the pan and turning off the burner.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
If you have any doubt about containing a kitchen fire.
- Get out!
- Call 911 from outside your home.
We hope you never experience a fire. But if you ever find yourself dealing with this kind of difficult situation, ServiceMaster Restoration by Bailey is here for you 24/7 every single day. We’re proud to serve our neighbors in Ankeny, IA. Don’t hesitate to call us with any questions you may have. Our fire damage technicians are on call to assist you in your time of need. We provide full restoration services to get your home looking like new again.