After a fire occurs, water damage might not be top of mind, but it probably should be. Sprinklers and fire hoses are tailored to put out the fire quickly. This is important in order to protect your home or business, but it can also cause an entirely separate type of damage. Both water and fire damage need specialized knowledge and equipment during the restoration process. Tackling water and fire restoration at the same time is no easy task. That’s why it’s important to call the experts at ServiceMaster Restoration by Bailey as soon as possible. In the meantime, use the tips below to help your recovery process run smoothly.
Moisture and standing water of any amount can take a toll on your property. Wood floors and cabinets can become distorted, carpets can breed mold and electronics can become irreparable. In addition, your home’s electrical system can be compromised. The longer water sits on your belongings, the more damage will occur. This damage quickly grows into mold which is not only visually unappealing but also can be harmful to your health.
What to Do
- Avoid using electrical outlets in affected areas. It might be a good idea to turn off the power in your home to be safe.
- Don’t walk through standing water. Depending on the type of water, it could contain harmful bacteria.
- Record the damage with photos and videos before you move belongings or begin the restoration process. Your insurance company will likely want to see evidence.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible. Making sure your insurance agent is on the same page as you from the start can save you a headache later.
- Remove valuables and undamaged furniture from your property. Store in a safe and dry location until the restoration is complete.
- If possible, open windows, doors, drawers and cabinets to increase air circulation.
- You might have a sump pump in your basement. Use it to remove standing water.
- Don’t try and remove water with makeshift equipment like a vacuum. This could make matters worse.
- Call an expert fire and water damage restoration team right away. The quicker you call, the more damage our team can prevent.
We hope these tips help streamline your fire restoration process. If you experience fire or water damage, contact us at (844) 338-5447. ServiceMaster Restoration by Bailey is your local fire and water damage restoration expert in Des Moines and Ankeny, Iowa. We’re available any time day or night for emergency restoration services. Our team also provides pack-out and storage, construction cleanup and hard flooring care The sooner you call, the more damage we can prevent.
Photo by: istockphoto.com/Milaspage